Reed Solomon Codes
Reed Solomon Encoder - ntRSE
In channel coding redundancy is inserted in the transmitted information bit-stream. This redundant information is used in the decoder to eliminate the channel noise. The error correction capability of a FEC system strongly depends on the amount of redundancy as well as on the coding algorithm itself. ntRSE core implements the Reed Solomon encoding algorithm and is parameterized in terms of bits per symbol, maximum codeword length and maximum number of parity symbols. It also supports varying on the fly shortened codes. Therefore any desirable code-rate can be easily achieved rendering the encoder ideal for fully adaptive FEC applications. ntRSE core supports continuous or burst encoding. The implementation is very low latency, high speed with a simple interface for easy integration in SoC applications.
The ntRSE core can be used in a variety of applications, including:
- Wireless broadband – IEEE 802.16.
- Gigabit Optical Networks (2.5, 10 & 40G) – ITU-T G.795.
- GPON (G.984).
- DVB (ETS 300 421 – Satelite).
- DVB (ETS 300-429 – Cable).
- ADSL (ANSI T1.413, ETS 101 388).
- DECT (ETS 300 175).
- Intelsat Earth Stations – IESS-308.
- Space Telemetry Systems.
- Fully configurable, time-domain, high throughput, Reed Solomon Encoder.
- Supports different Reed Solomon coding standards.
- Variable on the fly code rate adaptation by varying codeword length and/or number of parity symbols.
- Variable bits per symbol.
- Variable codeword length on a codeword by codeword basis.
- Variable number of errors corrected on a codeword by codeword basis.
- Supports shortened codes.
- User configured primitive polynomial.
- User configured generator polynomial.
- Three clock cycles encoder latency.
- Fully synchronous design, using single clock.
- Silicon proven in ASIC and FPGA technologies for a variety of applications.
The core has been targeted to both ASIC and FPGA technologies for various applications. Noesis Technologies can also deliver netlist versions of the core optimized to specific area resources and performance requirements..
Silicon Vendor Device Resources Fmax
Xilinx Virtex II 585 CLB Slices 167
TSMC 0.18 um 2500 gates 250
Altera Stratix-II 333 ALUTs 162
Noesis has engaged an “open” licensing philosophy in order to allow maximum technology transfer to our client’s engineering teams and to facilitate the integration of our IP cores into our client’s product. Various licensing models are available. The ntRSE core is available as a soft core (synthesizable HDL) or as a firm core (netlist for FPGA technologies). The following deliverables are included:
- Fully commented synthesizable VHDL or Verilog source code or FPGA netlist.
- VHDL or Verilog test benches and example configuration files.
- C++ model.
- Comprehensive technical documentation.
- Technical support.
We offer a variety of IP Core evaluation options such as C++, Matlab bit-true reference models, encrypted RTL simulation models with standalone, self-checking, fully automated RTL test benches, time limited FPGA netlists as well as FPGA demo boards for real-time verification.